Wednesday 27 February 2013

Lib Dems and Tories vote through more cuts at Cornwall Council - part 3


In my anger at what happened at yesterday’s budget meeting, I am struggling to find words to express my feelings. I would like to share a couple of comments from council colleagues with whom I agree.

The first is Cllr Andrew Wallis (Independent). He wrote:

“For less than a price of a (weekly) chocolate bar, services and functions could have been saved. But I guess having a good election leaflet is better than doing what’s right for Cornwall.

“Staff who work so hard delivering services must feel so undervalued. I spoke to many staff who all wondered if they had a job after today’s vote. Some were in tears. Others just could not believe what had happened. It may have been forgotten by some councillors, but staff are also residents, who can vote and will no doubt be very tempted to put an X in a different box in May. 

“However, the most unsettling part of the day, was when Councillors were gleefully smiling that the motion they supported was carried. It was sickening to watch and I was ashamed to be in the council chamber with them.”

The second is Cllr Jude Robinson (Labour). She wrote:

“Yesterday, I saw politicians as others too often see us, more concerned about election chances than about the people we serve.

“I don’t claim to be better than anyone else, more virtuous or whiter than white. As I often say: ‘only human’. But I do not want to be associated with that kind of politics. In May when the election comes along, the yellow Tories can send an army of volunteers to my ward if they like with leaflets crowing about their tax freeze that saves people around 42p a week. They won’t be telling people about the services that will come to an end or the charges that will be raised or the people put at risk. If I lose on that basis, it’s fine by me – it’s not worth winning a seat with blatant dishonesty.

“In more than 20 years of campaigning and involvement in politics, I have never witnessed such appalling, self serving, shabby, gutless, petty manoeuvring as I did yesterday at County Hall.  I am so sorry that the people of Cornwall are let down in this way.”

I so wish to put it on record that I agree with that last paragraph and wish that I had written it.

1 comment:

Julian German said...

I totally agree with Jude too, shameful.